You Don't Know Dorothy!
Game Show Questions from the 1998 Affirmation Conference
Portland, OR, September, 1998
- Who was the first person to write a study on Gay & Lesbian Mormons?
- In what year did the church stop performing plural marriages?
1890, 1904, 1921, None of the above (Correct: none of the above. The church still teaches that Plural Marriage is the highest order of marriage, and still seals more than one woman to a man in the Temple. For example: if a wife sealed to her husband for "time and all eternity" dies, the husband can be sealed to another woman, also for time and eternity, and will have both in the next life.)
- Name one of the three founders of Affirmation whose name is also a city in Utah.
- What was the name that Affirmation was first known by?
Affirmation - Gay Mormons United
- What was the Affinity first known by?
News Times & Seasons
- In what year did Affirmation organize its first permanent chapter?
- In what city did Affirmation members first march in a Pride Parade?
- How many people marched in the 1979 "March on Washington for Gay Rights?"
- When did Affirmation's national web site begin?
April 6, 1996
- Where did Affirmation form its first permanent chapter?
Salt Lake City
- After whom is the Mortensen award named?
- What was the name of the first pamphlet Affirmation published?
- In what publication does this appear: "When our leaders speak, the thinking has been done."
Improvement Era, June 1945, p. 354.
- How many people must pay dues to organize a chapter of Affirmation?
- What was the location of Affirmation's first conference?
- What three cities have hosted 3 Affirmation conferences each?
Los Angeles, Salt Lake City, San Francisco
- According to a 1998 survey, what percentage of BYU students thinks same-sex-oriented students should be allowed to attend BYU?
- According to a 1998 survey, what percentage of BYU students knows someone same-sex oriented at BYU?
- According to a 1998 survey, what percentage of BYU students believes that sexual orientation is fixed or unchangeable?
- Who said "…we have gays in the church. Good people"?
Gordon B. Hinckley, in a San Francisco Chronicle interview, April 12, 1997
- Who was the first apparently gay or bisexual person in Mormon history?
John C. Bennett
- Which apparently gay or bisexual man was appointed by Joseph Smith
to be the assistant counselor to the First Presidency in 1841?
John C. Bennett
- What was the name of the gay Patriarch of the Church in the 1950's?
Joseph F. Smith
- Church Patriarch Joseph F. Smith was romantically involved with which of the following:
An LDS football player
A Navy Veteran
All of the above (Correct answer. I guess this makes him a "man's man!")
- During what brief one-year period did the 100% Mormon-controlled Utah territorial legislature criminalize sodomy?
- When did the church add "homo-sexual acts" between men as grounds for excommunication?
- When did the church add "homo-sexual acts" between women as grounds for excommunication?
- In his 1976 "Someone had to do it" speech, what church leader encouraged Mormon men to assault gays?
Boyd K. Packer
- What church leader in 1958 endorsed the death penalty for same-sex behavior?
Bruce R. McConkie
- According to a 1998 survey, what percentage of BYU students knows someone who is same-sex oriented?
- According to a 1998 survey, what percentage of BYU students thinks that conscious choice is all or some of the causation of same-sex-orientation?
- According to a 1998 survey, what percentage of BYU students said they would live with a same-sex-oriented roommate?
- According to this month's Affinity, how many chapters and groups does Affirmation currently have?
- In what year did the Affinity for Women begin?
1988 (This women's publication for Affirmation members ran for 10 years)
- Who said: "I don't know a gay from a hole in the ground — in my part of the country, we don't have 'em."
Lillian Carter, mother of Jimmy Carter
- Who said: "The fact is that more people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason."
Harvey Milk, San Francisco City Supervisor
- Who said: "It is better to be hated for what one is than loved for what one is not."
Andre Gide, French Writer (1869-1951)
- Who said: "I'm everything you were afraid your little girl would grow up to be — and your little boy."
- Who said: "It's a good thing I was born a woman, or I'd have been a drag queen."
- Who said: "The Air Force pinned a medal on me for killing a man and discharged me for making love to one."
Leonard Matlovich, Former Air Force sergeant (1943-1988) In 1975, he set himself up as a test case to challenge the U.S. military's policy of automatically discharging homosexuals.
- Who said: "Up from the earth I rose with his wings, And death itself I could have found sweet."
Michelangelo, from a sonnet to Febo di Poggio, a young male prostitute who worked as one of his models.
- Who said: "Thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women."
David's lament over Jonathan, in the Bible (II Sam. 1:26)
- Who said: "I've never outraged Nature. I've always listened to her advice and followed it wherever it went."
- Men now control all of the men's organizations in the church. What percentage of women's organizations do men control?
- How many gay bars were there in the US as of 1989?
- What is the record for the biggest biceps in the world?
25 ½ inches (Bodybuilder Gary Aprahamian of Queens, New York)
- What US President told a crowd that he and Ronald Regan had sex together?
George Bush (In a 1988 presidential campaign he said "We have had triumphs, we have made mistakes, we have had sex." After a shocked silence, a deeply embarrassed Bush corrected himself: he had meant to say, "We have had setbacks."
- Who said this memorable "camp" line: "Oh I'm so tired of just being pretty!"
Kim Novak, Picnic, 1955
- From what movie does the "camp" line: "I am She Who Must Be Obeyed" come from?
- Who was the first international figure to come out?
Andre Gide, French Writer, Novelist and Playwright (1869-1951)
- What US organization banned umbrellas from being carried by its members on the grounds it would present an effeminate image?
US Army in 1983
- In what year did BYU begin "aversion therapy" that made use of pornography, drugs and 1,600 volt electro-shock?
- What church produced book urged same-sex intimacy?
The Effective Missionary, a missionary preparation book printed in 1982.
- Prior to Spencer W. Kimball, what other church President issued public statements condemning homosexuality?
Harold B. Lee, 1973
- Which of the following business ventures has the church not participated in?
Sugar Beet Industry
Prostitution (Salt Lake City's prostitution district, 1897. The LDS church's real estate company leased the upper floors of buildings as "whorehouses." This continued for 44 years.) (Photo on page 235, SS Dynamics)
Deep Space Exploration (Correct Answer)
- Who was the famous Utah female impersonator Madam Pattirini?
Brigham Morris Young, Brigham Young's 35th child (Photo on page 233, SS Dynamics)
- What woman spoke positively about female-female love in the LDS Young Woman's Journal?
Kate Thomas, 1903
- Willard E. Weihe, violinist for the Tabernacle Choir in 1905, was also President of what gay organization?
The Salt Lake Bohemian Club (Photo on page 236, SS Dynamics)
- Counselor May Anderson and President Louie B. Felt, devoted same-sex
couple, were connected with what organization?
Primary General Board. (The Children's Friend labeled them as "ardent lovers." Photo on page 240, SS Dynamics. The caption under the picture read "The 'David and Jonathan' of the General Board.")
- What popular gay meeting spot would you find west of the BYU Library?
The Naked Indian Statue
Game Show Categories
- Torch Hymn Trilogy
- Deacons & Teachers & Priests, Oh My!
- Hold to the Rod
- You Gosh Darn Mother Fetcher!
- Put Your (ahem) to the Wheel
- Church Balls
- Gay, I mean Happy Valley
- The Rocky Mountain Picture Show
- Wasatch Faults
- Sex and Sects
- Limits to the Multi-Purpose Room
- That's not what we meant by "Fellowship"
- The Seagull Cage
- Church "Camp"
- This Ain't the Place!
- Longtime Mission Companions
- The Ex-ed Files
- "I want to bare my…"
- As I Have Loved You
- Cruise the Right
- Come, Come Ye Gays
- Earth, with her ten thousand Dykes
- Did you Air your room this morning?
- How Firm a…
- I Kneed Thee Every Hour
- Rise up, O men of God
- Rock of Ages
- Shall the youth of Zion Father?
- The Spirit of Grog
- The World Has Need of Willing Men
- We thank thee, O God, for a Partner
- What Glorious Scenes Mine Eyes Behold
- Coming Out Stories